the future of SNMP

[ post by non-subscriber.  with the massive amount of spam, it is easy to miss
  and therefore delete posts by non-subscribers.  if you wish to regularly
  post from an address that is not subscribed to this mailing list, send a
  message to <listname>-owner@ops.ietf.org and ask to have the alternate
  address added to the list of addresses from which submissions are
  automatically accepted. ]

I certainly intend to continue SNMP into the future.  Given that systems
administrators are being asked to monitor more servers, especially
rack-mounted server farms, we really aren't left any choice in the matter.

As SNMP is cross-platform, a vendor specific methodology is not going to
work.

I would like to see expansion of existing MIBS.  I am current working on
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB.

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and or privileged
recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action
relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply,
should be deleted or destroyed.