Re: FW: sming meeting minutes draft... Questions for the wg.

>Further, attendance at the SMIng/EOS meetings in Atlanta was close to
pathetic.
>I attribute this to lack of interest and my guess is that this is because
of XML.

Although I share you enthusiasm for XML as a technology for management, the
reality is that I have not seen any RFP related to NGN networks in the last
3 years that mentions XML at all.

Attendance and/or support from companies for standards work is directly
related to the state of the economy.  Justifying travel has been very
difficult this year for everyone.  Other standards bodies are having the
same problem.  As always, network management takes second place to call
processing and budgets reflect that.

>I agree, but I think vendors would update their products if the cost was
low
>enough and the improvement in data transfer efficiency was high enough.

I have not done this in a while but the last time that I checked,
industrial grade XML tool sets where prohibitively expensive compared to
SNMP ones.  But, this is not the only driver here.  Network operators like
their HP OV NNM, Micromuse, etc.  To change the existing toolsets is going
to take some serious selling.  Why should the operators spend a dine on
XML?  In this age of huge pipe  over capacity, I do not think that data
transfer efficiency would be a good selling point.  Specially, considering
that network management traffic is so minuscule as to be unimportant in
traffic studies.

Yes, it is possible to convert SMI to XML. So?  What is the problem that is
being solved?  I hope that y'all are not doing this for the simple reason
than because it can be done.  Can anyone state the problem?

Sidney Antommarchi
VXi - Systems Engineering
972-301-1258

                      Andy Bierman
                      <abierman@cisco.         To:      "Glenn Waters" <gww@nortelnetworks.com>
                      com>                     cc:      eos@ops.ietf.org
                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: FW: sming meeting minutes draft... Questions for the wg.
                      owner-eos@ops.ie
                      tf.org

                      12/18/2002 12:15
                      AM

At 10:43 AM 12/17/2002 -0500, Glenn Waters wrote:

>I meant to send this to the list...

It is hard to do anything SNMP without XML being mentioned. Further,
attendance at the SMIng/EOS meetings in Atlanta was close to pathetic. I
attribute this to lack of interest and my guess is that this is because of
XML.

I think there is very little official IETF activity related to XML.
There is a lot of XML interest and activity by the vendors and their
customers, especially compared to interest in SNMP.

>SMIv3 provides much needed structure to the data; however, I fear the
forklift upgrade necessary in order to get it deployed will be very
detrimental to its success. I am not convinced SMIv3 could be deployed
before XML has traction. I also don't think that using SMIv3 with other
protocols such as XML is useful -- there are too many other schema
definition languages for XML already. Further, if there are simplifications
that we need for the other XML schema languages we should pick one and work
with that body.

This is a valid criticism of SMIv3.  It would impact everybody, especially
the readers and writers of MIBs.  Moving to XML would also be a major
change for readers and writers.  I don't know what you mean by a choice
of XML schema languages.  I think the choice has to be XML Schema from
the W3C.  The only other choice is DTDs, and they are not expressive enough
to foster interoperability or allow for complex, reusable data types.

>I think that the OOPS draft has the most potential although we should
ensure the features that it offers are what we want to pursue. OOPS does
not require a forklift upgrade. The features that it offers can operate on
the existing SMI. The one issue with EOS is that an upgrade to the protocol
stack is still required. Given the amount of time this is taking for SNMPv3
I fear that industry uptake will be below an acceptable level.

I agree, but I think vendors would update their products if the cost was
low
enough and the improvement in data transfer efficiency was high enough.
SNMP is mostly used for monitoring, and it is horribly inefficient at
transferring data, especially for a binary encoding.

>The bottom line is that interest in SMIng and EOS is low. Interest in XML
is high. SNMP has no workers. XML has people jumping to help. I think that
the IETF needs to reconcile where we want to go in the network management
space. The reality is that XML is coming, it just may be that the IETF will
not be defining it.

I agree, but I hope the IETF will be clueful enough to pay attention
to this trend.  (BTW, I've noticed that the people that dismiss XML
and all the tools work around it as just another fad are the least
likely to actually have read the XML specs or checked out the tools.)

>/gww

Andy