Re: FW: sming meeting minutes draft... Questions for the wg.

At 10:43 AM 12/17/2002 -0500, Glenn Waters wrote:

>I meant to send this to the list...

I think there is very little official IETF activity related to XML.
There is a lot of XML interest and activity by the vendors and their
customers, especially compared to interest in SNMP.

>SMIv3 provides much needed structure to the data; however, I fear the forklift upgrade necessary in order to get it deployed will be very detrimental to its success. I am not convinced SMIv3 could be deployed before XML has traction. I also don't think that using SMIv3 with other protocols such as XML is useful -- there are too many other schema definition languages for XML already. Further, if there are simplifications that we need for the other XML schema languages we should pick one and work with that body.

This is a valid criticism of SMIv3.  It would impact everybody, especially
the readers and writers of MIBs.  Moving to XML would also be a major
change for readers and writers.  I don't know what you mean by a choice
of XML schema languages.  I think the choice has to be XML Schema from
the W3C.  The only other choice is DTDs, and they are not expressive enough
to foster interoperability or allow for complex, reusable data types.

>I think that the OOPS draft has the most potential although we should ensure the features that it offers are what we want to pursue. OOPS does not require a forklift upgrade. The features that it offers can operate on the existing SMI. The one issue with EOS is that an upgrade to the protocol stack is still required. Given the amount of time this is taking for SNMPv3 I fear that industry uptake will be below an acceptable level.

I agree, but I think vendors would update their products if the cost was low
enough and the improvement in data transfer efficiency was high enough.
SNMP is mostly used for monitoring, and it is horribly inefficient at
transferring data, especially for a binary encoding.

>The bottom line is that interest in SMIng and EOS is low. Interest in XML is high. SNMP has no workers. XML has people jumping to help. I think that the IETF needs to reconcile where we want to go in the network management space. The reality is that XML is coming, it just may be that the IETF will not be defining it.

I agree, but I hope the IETF will be clueful enough to pay attention
to this trend.  (BTW, I've noticed that the people that dismiss XML
and all the tools work around it as just another fad are the least
likely to actually have read the XML specs or checked out the tools.)

>/gww

Andy