FW: sming meeting minutes draft... Questions for the wg.

Title: FW: sming meeting minutes draft... Questions for the wg.

I meant to send this to the list...

-----Original Message-----
From: Waters, Glenn [CAR:IO47:EXCH]
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 23:30
To: 'Durham, David'
Subject: RE: sming meeting minutes draft... Questions for the wg.

Where to start.

XML is overshadowing all other network management discussions in the IETF. It is hard to do anything SNMP without XML being mentioned. Further, attendance at the SMIng/EOS meetings in Atlanta was close to pathetic. I attribute this to lack of interest and my guess is that this is because of XML.

SMIv3 provides much needed structure to the data; however, I fear the forklift upgrade necessary in order to get it deployed will be very detrimental to its success. I am not convinced SMIv3 could be deployed before XML has traction. I also don't think that using SMIv3 with other protocols such as XML is useful -- there are too many other schema definition languages for XML already. Further, if there are simplifications that we need for the other XML schema languages we should pick one and work with that body.

I think that the OOPS draft has the most potential although we should ensure the features that it offers are what we want to pursue. OOPS does not require a forklift upgrade. The features that it offers can operate on the existing SMI. The one issue with EOS is that an upgrade to the protocol stack is still required. Given the amount of time this is taking for SNMPv3 I fear that industry uptake will be below an acceptable level.

The bottom line is that interest in SMIng and EOS is low. Interest in XML is high. SNMP has no workers. XML has people jumping to help. I think that the IETF needs to reconcile where we want to go in the network management space. The reality is that XML is coming, it just may be that the IETF will not be defining it.

/gww