Re: Recommendation on the path forward for EOS

Dave> One question:

Dave> Is it intended that this would be a new PDU within the existing
Dave> SNMPv3/v3MP framework, or would we be expecting to define a new
Dave> version at some level (either SNMPv4 or SNMPv3/v4MP) ?

I have not seen anybody who seriously proposed to invent a new message
processing model. But I guess your question is which mechanism or bit
we use to signal that one is sending new PDUs. This is certainly a
question to think about. And even if the answer would be to toggle a
bit in the SNMP version field, I still would not call that another
message processing model. But I am not convinced we need to bump the
version field at all.

[BTW, several years ago I lost a battle to convince the SNMPv3 WG that
 we should have a report mechanism for unknown PDUs so that apps can
 simply try new ones without having to wait for a timeout...]

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder    <http://www.informatik.uni-osnabrueck.de/schoenw/>