Re: OID compression/suppression support

>>>>> David T Perkins writes:

David> I strongly object to what I've seen being proposed that is
David> "pure" OID compressing (and any compression or other operation
David> that is CPU intensive).

OID delta compression is not CPU intensive as far as I am concerned.
It can be integrated tightly with the encoding itself.

As you know, speculations where you loose CPU cycles are risky. Only
profilers tell the real truth. And I know from some of the SNMP code I
have written (and running profilers on it) that there are other places
where in this code you could get easily performance gains that are
much bigger than the costs of doing OID delta compression.

Note that even though I have spend time in the past on the definition
of OID delta compression, I do prefer a world with PDUs where it is
just not needed.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder    <http://www.informatik.uni-osnabrueck.de/schoenw/>