OID compression/suppression support

Hi,
   I have only recently been following the discussions on this mailing list
and have not reviewed the drafts in depth.  But, I would like to see some
'micro-evolutionary' changes, in the area of OID compression/suppression,
defined for existing PDU operations.

As David Harrington wrote on 8/21:
>>I am interested in the OID compression/suppression proposals. They seem
fairly easy to accomplish and yield an immediate benefit. SNMP is
constantly being criticised >>by the flavor of the month competitive
protocol for being too inefficient carrying all those long OIDs. We
probably spend more time listening to the complaints than it >>would take
to add OID suppression and compression to the message format. Let's correct
the problem and improve the efficiency.

We have had a lot of complaints from network management apps about their
ability to get all the data they want from SNMP efficiently.  And with IPv6
IP addresses in instance values in the new version-neutral MIBs, this
problem will only get worse.  Object oriented protocol operations may be
the best future direction but, we really need an improvement now, and it
will probably be a long time before object oriented operations become a
reality.  So, I would like to see the WG invest time on the OID
compression/suppression proposals.

Thanks,

Kristine Adamson
IBM Communications Server for MVS: TCP/IP Development
Internet e-mail:adamson@us.ibm.com