Re: Draft EOS minutes

> >   The other thing that would be necessary is some sort of mechanism for
> > negotiating the use of such enhancements.....  I've got some
> > ideas about various possibilities, and will try to put together a
> > fuller proposal, if there's any interest in this sort of approach.

> Great discussion and I also see that Jeurgen agrees with you. I hope that a
> proposal can get written up -- strawman or otherwise -- in Internet draft
> format by September 15.

OK - I've put together a suitable description of my proposal, and
submitted it to internet-drafts@ietf.org (as an "Independent submission
to a working group").
  It's the first time I've done this, so I'm not sure whether I'm
meant to send it to this group as well?   I've put it up on the web at

   http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~daves/draft-shield-eos-capabilities-00.txt

so anyone that's interested can get it from there anyway.

  I've also managed to throw together an initial proof-of-concept
implementation (based on the net-snmp code).  That's also available
via the web as

   http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~daves/eos.tgz

(It's configured for my Linux box, but removing config.cache, and
re-running configure should work on most systems).

It's not complete - in that it doesn't support the MIB for advertising
the supported capabilities, and it doesn't try to have per-varbind
capabilities either.  It blindly assumes that any requested capability
should apply to the whole request.  And it doesn't bother reporting back
which capabilities were used.

  But it *does* successfully negotiate the use of either (or both) of
the two extended capabilities that the agent supports:

$ ./snmpgetnext -v 2c localhost eCapTestLeft.3 eCapTestRight.3
EXTENDED-CAPABILITIES-TEST::eCapTestLeft.4 = STRING: "Four"
EXTENDED-CAPABILITIES-TEST::eCapTestRight.5 = STRING: "potato"

          [Request use of "fill holes"]
$ ./snmpgetnext -v 2c+h localhost eCapTestLeft.3 eCapTestRight.3
EXTENDED-CAPABILITIES-TEST::eCapTestLeft.4 = STRING: "Four"
EXTENDED-CAPABILITIES-TEST::eCapTestRight.4 = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID

$ ./snmpgetnext -v 2c localhost eCapTestLeft.7 eCapTestRight.7
EXTENDED-CAPABILITIES-TEST::eCapTestLeft.8 = STRING: "More"
UCD-SNMP-MIB::memIndex.0 = INTEGER: 0

          [Request use of "don't column wrap"]
$ ./snmpgetnext -v 2c+c localhost eCapTestLeft.7 eCapTestRight.7
EXTENDED-CAPABILITIES-TEST::eCapTestLeft.8 = STRING: "More"
EXTENDED-CAPABILITIES-TEST::eCapTestRight.8 = No more variables left in this MIB View

          [Request use of both "don't column wrap" & "fill holes"]
$ ./snmpgetnext -v 2c+ch localhost eCapTestLeft.7 eCapTestRight.7
EXTENDED-CAPABILITIES-TEST::eCapTestLeft.8 = STRING: "More"
EXTENDED-CAPABILITIES-TEST::eCapTestRight.8 = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID

Dave