Re: Draft EOS minutes

>>>>> Dave Shield writes:

Dave>   OK - Stealing shamelessly from the proposals already on the
Dave> table, I'd suggest the following:

Dave>   a) OID Delta Compression (as per
Dave> draft-irtf-nmrg-snmp-compression)

[...]

Dave>   b) Filling holes in tables using either 'noSuchInstance' or a
Dave> new Exception value

[...]

Dave>   c) Non-wrapping of columns either as a separate protocol
Dave> operation (GetCols) or as an extension of existing ones (GetBulk
Dave> and ?GetNext)

[...]

Dave>   The other thing that would be necessary is some sort of
Dave> mechanism for negotiating the use of such enhancements.

Well said Dave. I fully support work in this direction and I think
this falls well under the given charter. Retrieving larger sets of
data via SNMP is just painfully slow. We either give up on this or fix
it. I would prefer to get this bulk data transfer problem fixed within
SNMP.

As a future work item, I suggest to consider moving SNMP over TCP on
the standards track. But lets first do the a)-d) above. Luckily, there
are enough ideas and even some implementations to work from.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder    <http://www.informatik.uni-osnabrueck.de/schoenw/>