Re: OID Compression - implementation experience

Dave> You have to save a *maximum* of one OID - yes.  But with the
Dave> ODC, you *always* have to save this OID.  With OPC you don't.

[...]

Thanks for the explanation. You want to optimize away the copy
operation which is currently required by the ODC definition for
each OID.

Dave> OK - maybe this isn't a major overhead.  But I hope it explains
Dave> the point.

Whether this consitutes a major overhead depends on what your specific
implementation is doing. I am pretty sure that this additional copy
would not seriously affect the speed of the scotty code or the scli
code. (The number of memory allocations being done at later stages
alone in both packages is most likely much more costly than the OID
copying.)

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder    <http://www.informatik.uni-osnabrueck.de/schoenw/>