Re: Format of an IPv6 address in a snmp trap

Tom> For non-IP (v4) protocols, I understand that the NetworkAddress
Tom> in the Trap PDU should be set to 0.0.0.0 although a quick scan of
Tom> the RFC does not tell me why I think so!

NetworkAddress is defined in RFC 1155 as follows:

       -- application-wide types

       NetworkAddress ::=
           CHOICE {
               internet
                   IpAddress
           }

There is simply no way to encode something different from an IPv4
address. So the common approach is to use 0.0.0.0 in cases where there
is no suitable IPv4 address.

Note that the SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB provides snmpTrapAddress which can be
used to ship an IPv4 address in an RFC 1905 trap message. Some people
argued in the SNMPv3 WG that this should be a TDomain/TAddress pair
but they lost this battle. I still believe that it is highly valuable
to know the transport address associated with a trap in operational
environments. But standards folks prefer to tell people that you have
an engineID in SNMPv3 and that should be good enough...

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder    <http://www.informatik.uni-osnabrueck.de/schoenw/>