Re: RowStatus questions

For our enterprise MIBs we use #4.  #4 is also a good way to specify which
items besides the table keys are required at row creation.  Keep in mind
that restricting RowStatus to "one-shot" mode, in principle, should only be
done if the protocol can handle the row size.  However, I am not sure there
is a toolset out there that looks at the compliance statement.

Sidney Antommarchi
VXi - Systems Engineering
972-301-1258

                    Wes Hardaker
                    <wes@hardaker        To:     eos@ops.ietf.org
                    s.net>               cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     RowStatus questions
                    owner-eos@ops
                    .ietf.org

                    05/09/2002
                    11:40 PM

Ok, so lets say you're writing a MIB today (many of us are).  Everyone
supposedly hates RowStatus, but the primary reason is the
create-and-wait state.

So, if you were writing a (standards-based) MIB what would you do
given todays choices:

1) use RowStatus as is, since it's still the currently accepted method.
2) Make something up for the MIB (ick).
3) use new not-yet standardized ideas (eos-rowops, being one example).
   [this isn't really an option of course, since I expect my draft to
    go to proposed before the eos is done debating this issue, and I
    can't wait (let alone wait for new deployment of protocol code)]
4) use RowStatus but in the compliance statements specify that the
   createAndWait enum value isn't required.
5) ???

--
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will
 insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."   -- Terry