RE: RowStatus questions

Title: RE: RowStatus questions

Hi Wes,

I would recommend using RowStatus as it is. Existing applications have learned how to use it.

It is my impression as an application developer that having RowStatus to standardize table handling is far better than what preceded it - chaos.

The main problem is that multiple requests with partial information might come in any order, before an agent can create the row. You can help solve the problem by 1) advising application developers in the table description/entry that it is much easier on the agent if the request contains all the info and uses createAndGo, 2) defining default values for anything that could take a default, 3) describing the most efficient approach to using partial requests to build your table (e.g. relying on default values), 4) identifying in the mib the minimum number of varbinds per request an agent implementing your mib should be prepared to support, and 5) using smaller tables so the number of varbinds needed in a request is less likely to exceed the processing capacity of agents.

my $.02
dbh