Re:

>>>>> Subrata Goswami writes:

Subrata> well, let us look at the following string (say for sysDescr):
Subrata> "my system".

Subrata> 1) ASCII: 9 bytes 2) BER: 4+4+18 = 34 bytes.

Subrata> So I would say ASCII is 400 % more efficient. am i right ?

BER requires only 11 bytes in this case. You first need to understand
who something works before you can argue about it. Also note that your
math is incorrect: 4+4+18 gives 26 and not 34.

Also note that BER encoding communicates the type and the length of
the string variable. Now show me the ASCII encoding that does the same
with less than 11 bytes...

/js

Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Muehlenpfordtstr. 23, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>