RE: Open/Closed Issues on SNMP Extended Protocol MIB

hi

Sharon> Wouldn't adding a new error code to version 3 require
Sharon> recycling the standard back to draft?  It's taken so long to
Sharon> get SNMPv3 to the point it currently is, do we really want to
Sharon> do this?

Juergen> SNMPv3 as it stands today uses version 2 of the SNMP protocol
Juergen> operations and I am talking about version 3 of the SNMP protocol
Juergen> operations (which I think eos is basically working on).

Ah. Ok.  Sorry.

So most of what I said before still stands.

So you said:

SNMPv3 can't do basic writes: GenError
       can't do Foo writes:
EOS    can't do basic writes: tooComplex
	 can't do Foo writes: notWritable

And I said:

SNMPv3 can't do basic writes: notWritable
       can't do Foo writes:
EOS    can't do basic writes: notWritable
	 can't do Foo writes: notFooWritable

So, it seems that I am suggesting protocol level error codes, and yours are
one layer above that. I'm not sure which are best.

Oh, wait.  If we are talking basic set operations, can be ever tell the
difference
between SNMPv3 sets and EOS sets?  I suspect we can't.

Sharon