RE: draft-ietf-eos-oidcompression-00.txt (fwd)

Sharon:

This text was the result of damage I have left from my time at CMU.  At the
time, we were: a) mostly a single vendor shop,  b) talking to thousands of
devices frequently.  We had all sorts of problems with managers horking
over the sheer number of devices they were watching.  We also had trouble
with the machines the managers were running on running out of space in
their ARP tables, but that was on SunOS.  In our case, the extra detection
traffic would not have been too terribly welcome (though certainly
tolerable).  However, given a choice, I think we would have preferred an
"opt out" approach to save time and bandwidth.

-Matt

--On Wednesday, May 09, 2001 9:43 AM -0400 Sharon Chisholm