RE: draft-ietf-eos-oidcompression-00.txt

hi

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Story [mailto:rstory@freesnmp.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2001 5:44 PM
To: eos@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-eos-oidcompression-00.txt

>11.  When to Compress OIDs
>   If a command generator does not receive a response to a message with
>   compressed OIDs and was expecting one, the message MUST be resent
>   without OID compression unless the command responder has advertised,
>   and the command generator read, the ability to process compressed
>   payload messages.  In the case where a command generator has
>   determined a priori that a specific command responder is capable of
>   processing compressed OID messages, the compressed OID message MAY be
>   resent according to the implementation's retry mechanism.

Robert> I don't particularly like this requirement. In particular, the bit
about
Robert> the CG having to know **from the CR** that OID compression is
supported.
Robert> What if a command line option specified that CG use OID compression?
Robert> think the app should return a timeout instead of forcing a retry
without
Robert> OID compression.

I think that this entire section belongs in the Extended Protocol ID, not
this
one.  I made a similar comment to Laura.  This way, we can agree on a
behaviour
and only describe it once.  The individual extensions can then talk about
specific behaviours and not general ones.

What the Extended Protocol ID says is:
"If an SNMP entity receives an extended protocol feature it does not
   understand, it MUST follow the unknown PDU response mechanism as
   defined in [RFC2262] section 4.2.2.1"

Sharon